They call it 'The Garden of Europe', and it's open for only 8 short weeks every spring. The spectacular Keukenhof garden in the Netherlands is said to be the largest spring flower garden in the world – and it's the highlight of our Avalon Tulip Time river cruise.
BestTrip.TV filmed this once-a-year explosion of color of blooming tulips, surrounded by some of the famous Dutch tulip fields. We were there and even we thought it was too incredible to be real!
And if you think the Keukenhof garden experience on a Tulip-Time cruise is just for girlfriend getaways, think again. The gardens are a living, technicolor business card for the Netherlands' floriculture industry - the biggest in the world. So think of it instead as one of the most stunning 'factory tours' you could ever hope to take. And bring along the guys, not just the girls. They will be just as awed as we were!
Thinking of taking a Tulip Time cruise? Here are 8 amazing facts about flowers in Holland, home of the world's largest floriculture industry:
- Nearly half of the world's floriculture products come from the Netherlands.
- 77% of all flower bulbs exported around the world are Dutch, and the majority are tulips.
- Tulips are the national flower of the Netherlands, but they originally came from Turkey; then were bred and cultivated by the Dutch into the spectacular showy flower we know today.
- The appealing stripes on some of the most sought-after varieties of tulips are the result of a virus!
- The total land used for the production of flower bulbs in the Netherlands is over 2.5 million acres! The Bollenstreek (Bulb Region) is more or less between Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The Keukenhof garden is in this area, surrounded by tulip and other flower fields.
- You can rent a bicycle during your visit to Keukenhof to explore the fields surrounding it, and if you have time, you can even follow all or part of the 37 km-long, sign-posted 'Leidse Bollenroute'. (You'll love cycling in Holland; all the land is flat!)
- Holland also exports fresh-cut plants and flowers: 2/3 of the world's total.
- Amsterdam is home to the world's only floating flower market; over a dozen shops operate year-round from one of the city's famous canals.
Like we did, you can experience the Keukenhoff garden, take in some of the surrounding flower fields, and visit Amsterdam's Floating Flower Market all during an Avalon Tulip Time River cruise that delivers you to the front of the line at the Keukenhof, and overnights in Amsterdam so you can go to the flower market.
Start your Trip!
Start your trip to Netherlands
Let us help you plan your trip
Introducing Active Discovery Cruises Hike, Bike, Paint... more
Germany's Oktoberfest is a once-a-year celebration of bee... more
Cruises filling up during DDay's 75th Anniversary Year – ... more
- Avalon Active Discovery River Cruises PLUS An Adventure Host
- Video: Germany's Most Romantic Christmas Market
- Video: A Canadian Veteran of DDay Explains Why You Should Visit the Juno Beach Centre
- Video Cruise Review: Tulips and Much More on an Avalon Spring Netherlands River Cruise
- Video: Meet the Crazy 'Chicken Man' of the Avignon Market
- 3 Beer River Cruises in Europe so you don't have to wait for Oktoberfest